An estimated 12m tonnes of plastic enters the oceans each year, and residues are routinely found in fish, sea birds and marine mammals. This week it emerged that plastics had been discovered even in creatures living seven miles beneath the sea.
The introduction just over two years ago of a 5p charge on single-use plastic bags led to an 85% reduction in their use inside six months.
Our recycling service can be tailored to your individual needs, we can provide weekly or fortnightly collections to suit you and can offer a range of bin sizes to meet with your requirements. Alternatively we can offer one off collections as and when required.
Currently we collect and recycle the following mixed plastics for recovery.
- 1- Polyethylene terephthalate marked (PET or PETE) these include
- some soft drink bottles, water bottles, plastic peanut butter jars, plastic wrap, and salad dressing bottles.
- 2- High-density polyethylene (HDPE) these include include some plastic milk cartons, juice bottles, shampoo bottles, and liquid detergent containers.
- 3- Polyvinyl chloride (PVC) these include clear food packages, liquid detergent containers, and many construction applications including some traffic cones.
- 4- Low-density polyethylene (LDPE) these include some bread and frozen food bags, trash cans, and garbage can liners.
- 5- Polypropylene (PP) these include some car battery casings, oil funnels, and plastic drinking straws.
- 6- Polystyrene (PS) these include packing foam, plastic cutlery, and protective packaging for electronic goods and toys.
- 7- Other types of plastic.
- Some types of plastic marked as “other,” “O,” or with a “7” cannot be recycled as they are commonly made with a combination of the previous six types of plastic, or with a type of plastic other than the six listed above, and can’t be broken down to be recycled. Common examples are headlight lenses and safety glasses; however, containers marked with a “7” that are recyclable plastic include some three- to five-gallon reusable water bottles.
For more information on our plastic recycling services, please get in touch here.